Indian food is by far one of my favourite cuisines, but some of my favourite dishes are packed full of processed vegetable oils, not to mention sugar and dairy. When clean living, I do my best to celebrate the most nutrient dense foods on the planet, which means avoiding those that may cause me inflammation such a overly processed and refined sugars, conventional dairy and oils that have been so treated and heated they nutritionally devoid of any nutrients. Plus, the added nutrients of cauliflower and broccoli for the rice is a no grainer, I mean brainer!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 1 tomato, roughly diced
- 1 small red capsicum, roughly diced
- 400 grams chicken thigh, breast or tenderloins, diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground hot chilli powder
- 1 small can (270ml) coconut cream
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1/4 cauliflower
HOW IT'S DONE
- Get started by making your butter chicken. Heat the coconut oil in large deep fry pan or wok on medium to high heat. Melt it down and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until softened and starting to go golden.
- Now toss in the tomato, capsicum and chilli, cooking on medium to high heat until sealed on all sides. Add in all of the spices and stir for another 2-3 minutes until everything is well coated and evenly mixed.
- Pour in the coconut milk or cream and cook on medium heat until the sauce thickens, chicken cooks through and the flavours are well developed, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside on low to simmer whilst you make your cauliflower and broccoli rice.
- Place the cauliflower and broccoli into a food processor and pulse a number of times, turning it into a rice consistency. Be sure you don't OVER pulse, resulting in cauliflower and broccoli dust!
- Enjoy legends!
DID YOU KNOW?
Coconut oil is a fantastic replacement for butter in all of your cooking, baking, frying and more! Packed full of incredible good fats, this energy and metabolism boosting superfood is perfect for those wanting to replace dairy with a healthy alternative!