Nothing says long weekend breakfast or post training feed like my fired french toast! Made with the epicness of paleo bread, dolloped with generous lashings of whipped caramel coconut cream and finished with fresh seasonal berries, you cannot go wrong. Did I mention it is also gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free? I hope you enjoy legends.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
For the paleo bread
- Bread Recipe Click here
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Coconut oil to fry in
- Bright summer berries, fresh or frozen
For the whipped coconut cream
- 3 small 270ml cans of unsweetened full fat coconut cream, 810 ml total, two of these cans placed in the fridge upside down overnight
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Pinch of Himalayan Salt
- 2 tsp vanilla bean powder or seeds scraped form 1 vanilla bean
HOW IT'S DONE
- Be sure you have made the paleo bread. if not, click here and get cracking!
- Now get onto your whipped caramel coconut cream. Simply place the 1 non refrigerated can of coconut cream, maple syrup and salt in a saucepan over medium/high heat.
Bring mixture to boil, then reduce to medium heat.
- Allow the mixture to bubble until quite thick and dark golden in colour. Stir regularly to prevent burning.
- This will take 15-25 minutes (this will depend on the quality of your coconut cream)
- Add vanilla and continue to cook on medium heat for another 5 minutes. The caramel will be dark golden in colour and delicious. When cooler, place into a container and keep in fridge. The caramel will thicken as it refrigerates.
- Once your caramel is cold, place the two cans of refrigerated coconut cream in a mixing bowl and using a hand held electric mixer with whisk attachment and whisk until thick.
- Add your home made caramel sauce, 1 tablespoon at a time and check for desired taste.
Whip until thickened and place in fridge until set. Try not to eat it all right now.
- Place your 4 beaten eggs in a bowl and slice your paleo bread to desired thickness, I like mine thick lets be honest, and dunk the bread generously in this egg mixture, coating all sides.
- Meanwhile heat a large fry pan on medium heat with some coconut oil and fry your bread each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve your fresh, warm and crispy french toast with generous dollops of the caramel coconut cream and top with fresh berries.