This is my healthy take on the much loved red velvet chocolate cake. The flavour combination of the raw cacao and beetroot is epic! Moist, dark and rich, just how I like it. This recipe won't disappoint!
What You'll Need
For the cupcakes
- 260g fresh beetroot, peeled and grated
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped or 1 tsp vanilla bean seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- Pinch of himalayan salt
- 150g blanched almond meal
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (I always use Nature's Way)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup (60ml) raw honey, maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
For the Icing
- 70 grams nut butter (I used almond)
- 70 grams coconut butter/ flesh paste`
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
How It's Done
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees and be sure you've got a muffin tray & paper liners.
- In a bowl, combine the raw grated beetroot, eggs, vanilla bean, cinnamon, maca, almond meal, raw cacao powder, sweetener, coconut oil and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Using a spoon or fork, mix really well.
- Spoon into your paper lined cupcake papers or small muffin tins.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through, crunchy on top and moist in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before icing.
- Whilst they cool, combine the three icing ingreidinets in a bowl and mix together with a spoon.
- Place in the fridge for 15 minutes or so to firm up, but don't let it become completely solid. Keep checking it.
- When the cupcakes are cool and the icing is thickened, dollop on top.
Makes 10 to 12.
Tip: I've topped mine with a raw heart chocolate, and you can top yours with whatever other clean treats you may have on hand to pimp up your cupcake!
What’s I Love
Maca powder is an incredible superfood known for its hormone balancing effects! Levelling your adrenals and giving your more energy in the bedroom.
Beetroots are packed with phytonutrients called betalains that provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory support to the body.
Raw Cacao is a magnesium, antioxidant powerhouse that contains compounds that act as stimulants believed to boost serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain making you feel happier and healthier.