Lamington Cupcakes. Yep, its been done. Quick, easy and fuss free. Enjoy everything you love about the famous lamington in these phenomenally delicious cupcakes.
What you'll need
Vanilla Sponge Cupcake:
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 6 eggs, at room temp
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut nectar, honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbls almond or coconut milk
- 2 tsps vanilla bean powder (or seeds from 2 beans)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 12 hole muffin pan with paper liners.
- First combine the coconut flour and eggs and whisk with a hand held mixer on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Now add in the coconut oil, coconut nectar, almond milk, vanilla bean powder and baking powder and whisk again on high for 2 further minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the lined muffin pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden, crispy on top and cooked through. Test if the centre is done by piercing one with a skewer – if its clean, they’re done! Let them cool in the pan for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- ½ cup coconut butter (flesh paste)
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder (or seeds from 1 bean)
- Desiccated coconut (topping)
- Combine all in a small blender. Blend until well combined (no lumps of cacao powder). Transfer to container and place in fridge until ‘spreadable’ consistency achieved. Check regularly to avoid it setting too hard.
- 1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
In a small saucepan over medium heat, smash the raspberries until desired blend or texture is achieved. Don’t heat for too long or the juice may stick or burn.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, layer them with generous amounts of Coconut-Cacao Frosting and sprinkle with desiccated coconut.
- Cut the cupcakes open and smear generously with the muddled raspberries.